Sunday, November 17, 2013

What is Poetry?

The Reason
If you find yourself
Loving a poet one day,
Show him why he writes.

-Robert Julius 

To me, poetry is a way to make language aware of itself.  When we write poetically, we are highlighting the beauty of words, the rhythm of our speech, and thinking specifically about meaning.  For me, poetry has always been a way of getting the inside of my mind onto paper.  It's a way to take the formless nature of thoughts and the mind and give them form.

I have been writing poetry for a few years now, and I have grown a lot since the start of it.  While I tend to focus more on writing fiction and prose, poetry has always been an extremely personal art for me.  I write poetry to deal with my emotions and life.  Poetry has always been very tied to my private life, and for that reason, my poetry is often raw, emotional, and alive.

I really admire Robert Frost and Rainer Maria Rilke as poets.  However, my favorite poem is Desiderata by Max Ehrmann: 

Desiderata 
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy. -Max Ehrmann 

I read this poem whenever I feel afraid and I feel like I need to be reaffirmed in regards to my own life. This poem reminds me of the important things in life and has given me strength and inspiration during many hard times.  To me, poetry is finding these words and storing them in your heart for later.  With poetry, we are able to communicate our humanity to one another, and I find that I can resonate with a poet's words in very special ways.

Finally, poetry is also music.  I find several musicians to write very poetically, and I believe that lyrics can count as poetry in many cases.  I think that songs are one of the most effective forms of poetry because everyone relates to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment