Thursday, November 14, 2013

"Otherness" - Creative Non-Fiction



From a young age, perhaps five or six years old, I was suspicious of my own self in the sense that I knew I was different.  At Christmas, I had longed for dollhouses when my two younger brothers wanted trucks.  I liked to sit quietly and read or write while my brothers tossed a football outside.  I enjoyed watching my mother cook while my brothers were content with eating what she prepared.  Though odd, these things did not define me.  I was much more than a boy who played with dollhouses, much more than a quiet artist, and my interest in cuisine was seemingly benign.  Yet these traits were the seeds of my otherness, the characteristics that would set me apart from the majority of society for the rest of my life. 
Had I known that when I grew older I would come to despise the flowers that had bloomed from those seeds, I may have dug them out as a child and disposed of those precarious little capsules.  When the time of puberty came and those flowers began to open, I would spend most of my days picking away their petals, hiding them from everyone.  I couldn’t let them know of my otherness.  I couldn’t let anyone see that I was different.  The flowers that grew on the outside were the easy ones to prune.  Outwardly, I may have appeared as a normal teenage boy, but on the inside there was an entire garden of blossoms opening in my lungs, my ribcage, and in my heart, too.  These blooms weren’t so easy to weed away, for removing them came with sacrifice.  Taking away the blossoms of my lungs would risk losing the artistry to which breath was so vital, the steady rhythm of inhalation and exhalation, of inspiration and creation.  To dispose of the roses in my heart would mean to extract and eliminate love.  So it became that I could not bear to remove these internal flowers, and I surrendered to the spring inside me.
I was afraid to name this feeling, this otherness, but in the winter of my senior year, I would find the person in whom I could finally confide.  We met in February on one of the coldest days that winter, and I can remember my parents telling me not to go out because I might get frostbite.  The chance was obscure, and I dismissed it in my mind because I had already become set on meeting this boy.  We had chatted on Facebook and arranged to meet up to go sledding.  He was two years older than me.  As I walked toward the intersection at which we had agreed to meet, the snow fell lightly and I could hear the sound of my long, blue sled dragging in the gray slush on the streets.  My heart pounded with a nervous thunder that I had never known.  As I got closer and closer, I wondered if I had made a bad decision, but my heart clamored on and on, expressing its desire with a reverberating go, go, go.
            When I came face-to-face with this boy, we greeted each other and then decided to go onward with our sledding adventure.  We walked for a few minutes to a cemetery where there was a big hill, perfect for sledding.  After going up and down a few times, we were both worn out, so he decided to lie down in the snow.  I stayed standing, gazing at his frame against the white canvas beneath him.  I silently admired his beauty.  This kind of attraction was something that I had never experienced before.  When he finally opened up his pretty blue eyes, we had a brief conversation about the wonder of winter, how gorgeous snowfall was, and then we decided to leave.
After we parted, I went home with a tingly feeling in my heart and a smile on my face.  A few hours later, I received a text from him asking me the question I had avoided up until now.  It was the one question I was so afraid to answer.  Are you gay?  Deep down, I knew the answer, but I didn’t know if I was ready to tell someone.  I carried this secret all my life, and I finally found someone who I knew was like me, someone that would understand.  I was resistant to admit the truth.  My stomach was in knots, but I thought about how much I enjoyed spending time with him earlier that day.  My heart knew the answer.  He was the first person I told.
We continued to talk, and after a few months’ time, we came to a mutual decision to be in a relationship.  I saw him in secret, keeping this detail of my life from my closest friends and family.  I really wanted to tell them all about the wonderful things I was experiencing.  One of our first official dates took place watching a 3-D documentary about deep space called Hubble.  We sat in front of a giant Omnimax screen, exploring the mysteries of the cosmos, when he reached out for my hand in the dark.  This small act, a simple holding of hands, felt absolutely magical to me.  Here I was, learning about the vastness of the universe, how humanity was smaller than a speck of dust in the celestial sense, and I could feel that isolation mirrored in my own existence.  And here he was, reaching out in the nothingness, taking hold of my hand to affirm that we don’t exist in a vacuum; we do not—I did not—exist alone.  I had never gotten the chance to have someone to call my own, to feel young love, like all my peers in high school had.  I had lived in romantic isolation for so long because I was afraid of what being gay meant for me.  As time went on and we got closer, living a double-life became too hard to handle, and I knew I could no longer keep up with the façade.  One day in May marked the most important decision of my life.  It was the day I chose to let the outside flowers grow.
That day I walked to my favorite spot in the neighborhood.  My house was at the bottom of a hill and at the top was an open field of grass.  In this field was a row of crabapple trees, and at one end of the grass, closest to the street on which I lived, there was a crabapple tree that grew all by itself.  This tree in particular was perfect for climbing, and I was rather arboreal in nature, so I spent much of my teenage years sitting inside of this tree reading, writing, or just thinking about life.  The crabapple tree was in full blossom, a beautiful display of pink flowers that ranged in hues from pastel to neon.  The blossoms’ aroma was captivating and alluring, a scent that I can recall vividly on any day.  I felt peaceful vibrations from this tree, like I could sense its tranquil spirit.  I climbed into the tree, feeling anxious, alone, and afraid.  I meditated among the flowers, asking for strength and courage to be myself.  As I waited for some kind of response, I felt an overwhelming calmness and sense of loving kindness, what Buddhists would call metta.  It felt like the crabapple tree was embracing me, wrapping me in its sympathetic branches and entwining its healing tendrils around my fearful soul.  It was as if the tree whispered to me, “Hush, child.  Don’t be so afraid to let your colors show.  The wind blew through the leaves and flowers delicately, releasing the perfume of the tiny works of art.  I could have sat in this sanctuary forever, but I knew I had to leave.  I had something to share with my family and friends.
As I descended from the sweet-smelling branches, I walked home with flowers in my hair and began to write a coming out letter.  I had decided to write my parents a letter because I worried about the outcome if I were to talk to them in person. The confession was long and explanatory, and I left out no details regarding my otherness, the fact that I was gay.  Writing the truth was painfully difficult for me.  I was so afraid of what everyone would think.  I wrote the letter with pain and tears, and it took all the courage I could muster to finish and sign that piece of paper.  When I handed it to my mother and went to work for the day, it felt like handing over a loaded gun.  I felt my heart flutter and I knew there was no backing out.  The truth was there.  I could no longer hide in my solitude or stay in the darkness.  The lies that had become a part of me were being torn away, and there was nothing left but light.
While my friends were extremely supportive after finding out, my parents’ reaction created a gash in our relationship.  My father stopped talking to me and my mother wept quietly.  I had no choice but to accept the openness of the wound, and while I knew it would heal, it would leave a scar, and things would never look the same.  Ultimately, what really mattered to me was the feeling of liberation.  I no longer had to suppress a part of my identity, and I didn’t have to love in secret.  I embraced this otherness.  I allowed all the parts of me to bloom.  Accepting myself at that point in time sparked the start of a lifetime journey of self-discovery.  I could no longer see my otherness as a curse.  It was a blessing and has always been a blessing.  I was given a queer set of eyes with which to see the world.  Through those beautiful, kaleidoscopic lenses, I see sameness in all the difference.  I see love in all the hate.  And I have been gifted with a loving heart, one that blooms with the most precious of roses, that loves freely, even when I’m reminded of the thorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment