Friday, September 20, 2013

Dialogue Scene



They hadn’t visited the lake since Abigail’s parents divorced.
            “Mom, can we go back to the lake this summer?” Abigail asked.
            “I don’t know, honey,” her mother said.  “That was a thing we did when your father was around.”
            “I know.  It’s just that I really like that lake.  It makes me feel better.”
            “I don’t know, honey.”
            “Just for a short vacation, you know.  It’ll be nice.”
            Her mother didn’t respond.  She took another drink from her wine glass.
            “I want to live there.”
            “Live there?  Everyone you know lives down here.  Don’t be silly.”
            “You always do this.”
            “Do what?”
            “Ever since the divorce, you ignore me.”
            “Oh, Abby, don’t put up such a fuss.”
            “It’s Abigail.”
            “Okay, Abigail.”
            Her words were beginning to slur.  Since the divorce, Abigail’s mother began to look toward alcohol to soothe the pain from the separation.
            “You really need to start drinking less,” Abigail said.
            “Are you my doctor?”
            “No, Mom, but—”
            “Then don’t tell me what I need to do.”
            “I’m just trying to help you out.  I’m worried about you.”
            “Don’t be.”
            It was Friday night and Abigail knew she wasn’t supposed to be out late, but she decided to leave.  She grabbed her mother’s car keys and headed towards the door.
            “Where do you think you’re going?”
            “Out.”
            “I don’t think so, young lady.”
            “I’m not going to sit here while you drink yourself into a stupor.”
            “Don’t you dare leave, Abigail Jane.”
            She opened the door.
            “Abby!”
            She looked back at her mom, slumped on the couch and nearly passed out.  She turned away and closed the door.  As she got into the car, her mother opened the front door and began to yell.
            “Come back right now!  Don’t do this!  You’re just like your father!”
            Abigail drove off, hoping to forget everything that happened at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment